Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Can't join the fad?

Do you have trouble wearing most pieces of fashion jewelery because it turns your skin green, bothers your ears, or otherwise makes you look like an alien? Feel like you can never have fun with your jewelery because you can only buy the really expensive stuff?

There are options!

there are coatings available that brush on like nail polish and create an invisible barrier between your skin and your jewelery. Some are made from medical grade silicone and have an almost zero reaction rate amongst anyone. This is the same stuff that is used in breast implants, plastic surgery, skin grafts, etc. Although I am not 100% sure I would want to have it inserted permanently into my body, I would not hesitate to wear it against my skin (and even in piercings) for long periods of time.

Metal can react with skin to turn both the metal and your skin green, black, purple or a variety of other colours that are pretty on My Little Ponies (if not necessarily on you). This does not mean that there is something wrong with your jewelery. Some metals just react that way with some people, and the acidity, oils, bacteria, etc. on your skin can make that chemical reaction happen faster or slower than if someone else were to wear the exact same piece.

If your skin reacts to metal by changing colour, a coat of hardware store spray paint (I like high gloss Tremclad at $3.49 a bottle and I am still on my first bottle) that will just coat the metal and keep the air, which is what causes the reactions, out. (I do not think I would use the spray pain on earring posts. Something about spray paint just screams "For external use only").

So go! A whole new world is opened to you for only the cost of a can of spray paint!

No comments: